Friday, March 17, 2017

Why I Am A Conservative


I am a conservative because I believe the government must obey the confines of the Constitution, and respect our national heritage and traditions. Because I believe that all just government “derives its power from the consent of the governed,” and that the people, not the government, are those best able to control their own lives and make their own decisions. I believe in the principles of the 10th Amendment, and the role of the states not as subordinates, but coequal branches of government alongside the federal body.

I am a conservative because I believe the government has a moral obligation not to spend more money than it takes in, and that it must remember that money is not its’ own, but rather is entrusted to it by the citizens. That the primary purpose of the government is not to regulate and restrict, but to enable. Not to intrude more and more into the private sphere every day, but to perform only those duties ascribed to it by the Constitution. Not to expand and control, but to defend liberty and a free economy at home and abroad.

I am a conservative because I believe in the sacredness and value of every life, particularly the need to defend the innocent and unborn. Because I believe in the importance of the family and that marriage is the fundamental building block of society. Because everyone is created equal, endowed by God with unalienable rights, and must therefore be judged by the law and society not on the basis of race or gender, but on who they are and what they can accomplish. And because every person has a right to self-defense, to protect their homes and families against those who would do them harm, and the government must not infringe on this right.

I am a conservative because I believe that there are some in the world who would do us harm, and that if peaceful alternatives fail we must not flinch from using force and the threat of force to defend ourselves and our allies. That we must respect the sovereignty of other nations, but if a clear and significant threat emerges to ourselves and to freedom, democracy, and the rule of law we must not hesitate to act.

I am a conservative because I believe in American exceptionalism, and the uniqueness of the American Dream. That the United States is the greatest nation on Earth, and—despite the inherent flaws of anything man-made—we remain a shining beacon of liberty and hope throughout the world. Because throughout human history, no country has served as a refuge for all those yearning to be free, and given as much in blood and treasure to the cause of freedom, justice, and human rights, as America. And that our Constitution, democratic republic, and fair and free elections truly set us apart from any other nation.

I am a conservative because I believe the best way for the government to help the less fortunate is to restore their dignity and self-worth. To provide not a permanent welfare state that demeans the individual, but a temporary safety net, a crutch for people to lean on in times of incredible hardship. I believe that welfare and entitlements, if abused and incentivized, create a stricken underclass that is the worst form of social injustice. I believe that true social justice is putting people back to work, giving them the dignity of a job, and preventing the system from being abused at the expense of those who truly need it.

I am a conservative not because I wish to return to the past, but because I believe the past offers lessons that can make the future a brighter place. Because I believe we must return to our roots, our core beliefs, and the fundamental wisdom of the Founding Fathers in order to continue strengthening America, and that as long as we place our trust and hope in our faith, family, and freedom, there is nothing we can’t accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment